Wow, what a month this has been! I am dazed and amazed that time has passed so quickly. Tomorrow is the ONE MONTH anniversary of when I first stepped foot in WordPress and what a ride it has been. A lot more exciting than the tornadoes that I usually travel about in, I’ll tell you!
In the past month, YOU, my fellow WordPressers, have surpassed any and all expectations I had when starting my blog “Grandma Says..” On WordPress, I have read amazing pieces by my new pals, the writers; I have drooled over stunning photography by you shutterbugs and stared with envy at some beautiful artwork done by some extremely talented artists. The poets of WordPress have even dragged me kicking and screaming into their world and made me appreciate their poetic skills. I applaud you all!
Also, in the past four weeks, I have received the 2012 Blog Award and 4 nominations for the Liebster Award. I am incorporating the two awards into this post as follows:
First I’ll address the 2012 Blog Award.
In February, I received a message from Suad Shamma, saying she had nominated me for the Blog of The Year for 2012. I was stunned and read her post, which you will find here: Smshamma – 2012 Blog Of The Year. I was stunned and so very honored. Now, this young lady was a little late in posting her nominations, but was kind enough to include me in her list. If you visit her site, I think you will find that she is really talented!
So, I feel that I should thank her for the nomination, but, I also feel that 2012 is over and the nominations should stop here. At least, that what I’m going to do. Now, I put the “Blog” badge on my blog; I’ve given a link to her, and I’ve thanked her. At this late stage in the game, I feel that we must move on to 2013. So, again, thanks Suad! Much appreciated!
Now, we’ll move on to the Liebster Award
The Liebster Blog Award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. “Liebster” is German for “favorite”. This award is the “favorite blog award” and I’m sure my nominees will join in by welcoming newcomers by passing on this award. There is no penalty for not continuing this long, long tradition of saying “Hello” to newbies, unless you consider a visit by my Gravatar laying some guilt on your doorstep to be a penalty. 🙂 Kidding! I know that being nominated gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling and I can’t wait to pass that feeling on to some of my new friends.
Now, of course, there are rules to passing on the baton, and here they are coming at ya!
Here are the rules should you choose to accept:
1. Thank your Liebster Blog Award presenter on your blog
2. Link back to the blogger who awarded you
3. Copy & Paste the award to your blog
4. List 11 Random Facts about yourself
5. Answer the questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.
6. Nominate 5 blogs that you enjoy to receive the award who have less than 200 followers.
7. List 11 questions for your nominees.
8. Inform them of their nomination by leaving a comment on their blog
Whew…I think I’ve got all the rules down. Simple, right? So, here I go with Steps One and Two.
I want to wholeheartedly thank the following people for nominating me. These nominations made an old woman very, very, happy! And for you readers, be sure to check out their sites. They are great people and great bloggers! So, my undying thanks to:
Gwen Stephens – “The 4 A.M. Writer”
lillyluna93 – “Writer’s Blog”
sarahcradit – “And Then There Was Sarah”
Pete Denton – “Pete Denton – Writer”
Step Three – Look to your right! Done Deal. (However, it was a little more complicated than Cut and Paste. Feel free to contact me if you have a problem with the Badge. I’ll let you know how to find it and how to stick it on your blog.)
Step Four – 11 Random Facts About Cranky
- I have Red Hair (it stays that way thanks to L’Oreal.)
- I’m 5ft 4in tall.
- I smoke (now, don’t be a hater. Everyone needs a vice and I’m trying to quit…honest!)
- I gave up drinking alcohol on May 27, 2012.
- I have four children and four stepchildren (although I’m not married to Danny, my SO, these kids are mine too.)
- I hate Liver.
- I love Lobster.
- I wear a size 7 shoe.
- I have been married three times (I refer to them as Plaintiff No. 1, 2 and three, respectively.)
- I love people (o.k., a lot of people.)
- I’m not always Cranky.
Step Five – Answer 11 Questions from the person who nominated you.
Now, since 4 separate people nominated me, I am going to answer 4 questions from each nominating blogger. I know that’s not strictly the way the game is played, but that’s how I roll.
Questions from THE 4 AM WRITER:
1. Story exists in many mediums. What’s your favorite form? Novel or movie?
I believe that I have enjoyed many more books than movies (although I love a good flick.) So, I would have to say Novel.
2. Do you listen to music or other aural ambiance while you work?
Oh, yeah. Gotta have the tunes!
3. If you could visit one more place in the world, where would it be?
Ireland. I have always wanted to see if all of my distant relatives have been released from jail yet. They do tend to drink a bit!
4. Who is your favorite fictional character?
Edgar Freemantle (Duma Key by Stephen King)
Questions from WRITER’S BLOG:
1. Favourite guilty pleasure?
Chocolate…chocolate..and more chocolate.
2. Explain your blog title.
I felt that I had a lot to say and since I am a Grandma, my blog just seemed to scream “Grandma Says..”
3. What is your favourite line from a book, movie, TV show, play, speech, poem or song?
Itsy Bitsy Spider went up the water spout!
4. Most thumbed book in your collection?
Duma Key by Stephen King. I have read a lot of his works but this one comes back to haunt me time and again.
Questions from AND THEN THERE WAS SARAH:
If someone follows your blog do you think it good manners to follow theirs and do so?
I don’t think good manners is the point. I think if you see a blog that interests or moves you, you follow it, whether that person follows you or not.
Approximately how long do you spend blogging each day?
According to my SO, way, way too much. But, honestly, I probably spend one to two hours a day writing in my blog and depending on what’s going on in my life..(he.who.must.not.be.ignored must be served) I probably would say about 2 to 3 hours reading posts. I’m retired so I have more time than most to spend in Blogsville! Then I spend 1 – 2 hours on my short story writing.
Were you pleased or annoyed to receive this award?
Of course, I was thrilled! All four times, and I mean that. This award is meant to be a welcome gesture and I felt the love each time I was nominated!
Has eleven of everything on this Liebster Award post been too many?
I think eleven of anything is too much! But, I did have to spend a whole day getting the bulk of this done. I think five would suffice!
Questions from PETE DENTON – WRITER:
Pete refrained from asking questions of his nominees, and I respect his decision. He had to answer to many awards so I totally understand! So, we’ll just move on to the next step.
Step 6 – Nominate 5 Blogs you enjoy
Now, (Drumroll, Please) my nominees for the Liebster award are as follows:
John Malone – The Wallah of Whimsey
MG – Smartassery Inc.
Susie Norden – Red Asparagus: The Sugar Bee Chronicles
Ily1205 – Serial Outlet For Creative Writing
dhutch729 – Likes In Life
kerby – I Don’t Get It (Things That Don’t Make Sense)
francisguernette – Disappearing In Plain Sight
htkilburn – Journalist – Enjoy The World The Way I See It
Grace Makley – I’m A Writer/Journalist Working on Wanderlust, My First Book
Clodagh O’Brien – eternally search for the perfect set of words
Mywaterblogue – My Water Blogue
Step 7 – My 11 Question for My Eleven Nominees
(I found out half-way through this project that I only had to choose 5 nominees, but since I was nominated multiple times, I took the liberty of choosing 11.)
- If you were stranded on a desert island, which storyteller would you like to be on your island?
- Why did you choose WordPress?
- Do your family and friends support your passion for your blog?
- How often do you post on your blog?
- Have you met any of your fellow WordPress Bloggers?
- What is your favorite hobby?
- Where do you look for inspiration for your works?
- Would you rather read or write?
- Who’s your favorite relative and why?
- When you go to the Reader, do you read the blogs you follow first and then browse through the topics to find more?
- How did you hear about WordPress?
Whew, I’m done! I just want to say that I feel privileged to be a member of the WordPress community and look forward to a long and happy relationship with all of you. Now, I have to run and notify my nominees.